February 8, 2015

Simple Living | Making my own deodorant

Yesterday, I ran out of deodorant. Instead of running to the store to buy more, I decided to try my hand at making my own. Making my own deodorant is something that I have wanted to do for a long time, but I had doubts. Would I smell okay? I had used natural store-bought deodorants like Tom's before, but ended up smelling a little too organic at the end of the day. What about how much I sweat anyway? I think I sweat more than the normal person. In high school, I was always self-conscious about raising my hands too high for fear of exposing my way too wet underarms!
With those fears in mind, I googled "fool-proof homemade deodorant" and then decided to make a deodorant based on what I already had at home.

My ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil 
  • 4 Tbsp of cornstarch 
Other variations, add essential oils, use arrowroot powder (instead of cornstarch), and add shea butter or other things. There are a TON of variations! I had the baking soda, coconut oil, and cornstarch so that is what I used! 

I mixed all of the ingredients together in a little glass jar and it made about 8-9 oz. Then to use it, I put a small bit on my fingers and rubbed it into my armpits. I had read that it's good to put it on and let it soak in before putting a top on, so there is less of a chance of it getting onto my clothes. 
I have used it for a day and at the end of the day--I didn't smell anything! There was no BO and there was no extra deodorant smell (like ocean breeze  or cool mist). If I added essential oils or something, there might be an extra smell from that, but without those there was no smell at all! I even took my shirt off to smell it--nothing! As for sweating, I did a bit. I tend to sweat no matter what deodorant I try and that's okay. A little sweat never hurt anybody. 



No comments:

Post a Comment