September 2, 2010

Joy. :D

I'm just so happy. :)

This morning, I had my mind blown in Social Theory talking about "unthought" and "unthinking". Then I went to Chapel and fellowshipped with friends. I saw freshmen buddies that I had been dying to see! Oh, it was just pure bliss and so wonderful.

I'm sitting in the library now, before heading to work in Student Life, marveling at the uniqueness and joy of college. That I can be immersed in deep academic discussion one moment and then fellowship with friends the next.

ALSO, I've heard a quote from Elizabeth Barrett Browning twice in the past couple days, so I thought I'd share it.

"Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round and pick blackberries."
— Elizabeth Barrett Browning
 What does that mean? Well, when she talks about taking off her shoes it reminds me of Exodus 3:5, when God says, "Do not come any closer. Take off your shoes for the place you are standing is holy ground." So, is Browning suggesting that only when we recognize the splendor and beauty of the Earth and the mighty power of God do we take off our shoes in praise and reverance, but those you fail to see...pick blackberries. Those who fail to see God, just see the Earth.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard that poem before too! I took it to mean that God is all around us doing wonderful and amazing things, but unless we stop gorging ourselves and really engage the world rather than ourselves, we shall miss it. Like Moses could have missed the burning bush. He actually had to "turn aside" from the path he thought he should be on to see God's awesomeness and hear God's call.

    ReplyDelete