February 1, 2013

Are you an Extrovert or Introvert?

Newsflash: I'm an Extrovert!
I know, it's big news, isn't it? Honestly, I don't think it's something that I've ever really noticed or acknowledged about myself. I enjoy people, but I never feel like the life of the party. I love talking with people, but often do more listening. But then the more I think about...I hate being alone. Life is better with people...pretty much ALWAYS. I am expressive and sometimes loud. I believe "Life is only real when shared." 

Whether, I really was an introvert or an extrovert didn't really matter until I came to live and interact with a few introverts all the time. I learned that I don't take very good care of introverts, unbeknownst to me. Honestly, the only reason that it was brought to my attention is that Housemate Rachel pointed out a pin on pinterest called "How to Care for an Introvert" and she said that I didn't do very many of those listed for her. "What? You're an introvert?" 

There are ALL sorts of things on the internet about introversion and how to take care of introverts. (Probably because being on the internet is kind of their thing, right?) Below are two graphs, that might help some people (like myself apparently) better understand introversion. This one was created for interacting with your children or campers, but it could apply to your interaction with introverted peers.

Via DigitalMomBlog
  • Energized by time alone
  • Private
  • Keeps to self
  • Deliberate
  • Internally aware
  • Independent 
  • Not socially inclined
  • Enjoys solitude
Via DigitalMomBlog
  • Talkative
  • Enjoys social interaction and groups
  • Energized by interaction 
  • Expressive and enthusiastic 
  • Distractable 
  • Assertive 
In The Offices, we take a Working Styles Profile (from Gilmore & Fraleigh) to find out how we work in group settings. I am Accomadting/Harmonizing. Or YELLOW. Super yellow. That means I want harmony in the group and accommodate to make it happen. I am an outgoing person who wants everyone to be happy. :) I think taking an introversion/extroversion personality profile would be helpful for people living in community together.

Psychology Today has a questionnaire about introversion, extroversion and ambiversion. Uh, yes. Ambiversion. What a fun word! 

So, what are YOU? 
Are you an introvert, an extrovert, or an ambivert?

Blessings on you and your personality,
Katie


1 comment:

  1. Katie - I'm happy to have stumbled on your blog via Dana's. I stuck it in my reader, so I'm looking forward to tracking w/ what you're up to these days!

    Do you remember doing the Gilmore-Fraleigh in class last year? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how introvert/extrovert maps onto conflict styles as outlined by the G-F.

    My wife is a pretty strong introvert, and I'm a pretty strong extravert - so since we both went through graduate programs where assessment tools and reflections on stuff like this were required, we've been trying to care for each other better every since. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete