February 17, 2015

It's a plastic world

As if I needed more inspiration to radically starting transforming my lifestyle to one of Zero Waste, this little video popped up in my Snapchat. Snapchat is the only social media that I keep on my phone and I'm glad I did--otherwise I might have missed this video.



Plastic travels all around the world--some ends up in landfills, some is shipped to "third world" or Global South, very little is recycled, and whats left is floating around our oceans and waterways. Plastics and trash are huge pollutants of water and damaging to our health and the health of our planet. When I was traveling abroad in India, I crossed two rivers on my way to my Social Work placement. The rivers are/were an important part of the vitality of India--now they are black. Literally sickly, black rivers leprosed with bits of white trash. The smell as we crossed them was putrid.
Photo from Transparent Chennai
It is a plastic world. I have given up things like single-use plastic bottles, but from where I'm typing on a computer made of plastic, looking at plastic office supplies, and just popped a piece of gum out of a plastic container--I have a long way to go, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment