January 29, 2014

finish each day and be done with it.

This quote hangs on a clothesline of photographs and artwork in my room. I first heard it at BVS Orientation (maybe retreat?). Yesterday, I just felt awful, horrible, low, and depressed. There was a horrible miscommunication for which I put the blame on myself, I am so over the snow and the cold (BIG TIME), and I'm just feeling homesick for people (that I get to see in a 3 weeks to a month). It just ALL weighed me down yesterday. This morning, I woke up feeling better and pulled this quote down from my clothesline to read it again.
“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.”
TODAY is a new day. I can't do much about yesterday, but I am at the helm of today and everyday. But sometimes I forget that...and bad days just happen. And that's okay. Thank goodness for grace, and bright mornings, and waking from sleep.

I started reading some of Ralph Waldo Emerson's quotes on Pinterest and just fell in love with all of them. Then I proceeded to put his book, "The complete writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson: containing all of his inspiring essays, lectures, poems, addresses, studies, biographical sketches and miscellaneous works." I'm looking forward to reading that soon!

What are you trying to leave behind today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment