December 8, 2013

Snowy Days & Dreaming of Adventure

Today has been spent in a time of snowy dreaming. After walking home from church in a beautiful snow fall - I used some rotting apples for a baked apple oatmeal. While the aroma of baking apples and cinnamon wafted through the kitchen – I periodically glanced up from my computer screen to see soft snowflakes falling. I spent this afternoon baking and dreaming. 
In this season of waiting and anticipating, it is fun to imagine future adventures and future goals that I want to achieve. My friend just sent me her New Years Resolutions and 2014 Goals. I haven't sat down to intentionally think about my 2014 resolutions and goals, but I was reminded of The Day Zero Project. It's a website I started using in 2010 to track goals that I wanted to achieve and things I wanted to do. 

The first list I made was 101 things I wanted to do in 1001 days. That list was started in January 01, 2010 and concluded on September 29, 2012. It included things like Study Abroad, apply to BVS, become a vegetarian, make a sweater for myself, and kiss someone on New Years Eve. Spoiler alert: all those things happened! I didn't finish everything on that list, but I completed over half of it. Some things are still left to do like plant a tree, go ice skating, donate my hair, and attend a peace rally. 

The next list I'm working on is called Me and My Young Adult Life. It started September 12, 2012 and is currently slated to end June 14, 2016. I chose my 26th birthday, because that is when I will have to start paying for my own insurance and that seems like a pretty adult thing to do. Some things I hope to do are Pay Off my Student Loans, hike the Appalachian Trail, donate my hair, cook a whole meal for my family, and WWOOF in Europe. It's all coming in stride. My current adventure is BVS, Elgin, Community Living, National Youth Conference, Cooking new recipes, and sometimes hanging with small children. 
Speaking of cooking, here's the finished Baked Apple Oatmeal. And the next adventure looks like driving in this snow to enjoy some appetizers and Christmas movies at a friend's house. 

What are the adventures waiting right outside my door if I but only opened my eyes to them?  

No comments:

Post a Comment