March 29, 2013

An Adventure in Making Scones

Do you ever just have those moments where you say, "I REALLY want a scone. Better yet, I REALLY want to learn how to make scones!" You don't!? Well, this thought consumed me yesterday. While I was at work, all I could think about was scones, scones, scones. Seriously.

I looked up a couple recipes via Martha Stewart and Pinterest. I found they don't have too many ingredients and don't take too long to prepare and cook. This looked like my kind of baked good! I scribbled down a list of additional ingredients that we didn't have at home...butter, eggs, and heavy cream. Then after work, I made my way to Jewel Osco to use my leftover weekly allowance of food money - $10 whole dollars!

As soon as I walked in I found BLACKBERRIES - on sale - 2 for $4. That's good, right? They weren't on my original list, but I had spotted them in a recipe and decided I'd make blackberry scones, instead of just plain cream ones. I found all the additional ingredients easily and checked out for only $8! I loaded them into my arms, because I forgot a re-usable bag, and was not about to get a plastic one.

I made my way to the kitchen. Turned the oven to 400 and started measuring out my dry ingredients. I poured in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar!

 Then I mixed in the eggs and cream - stirred some more and added the blackberries. 

 Then I pressed the dough together and shaped it into a circle. But it was when I got to this stage that I realized I had forgotten one ingredient...

BUTTER! 
I had completely forgotten the butter! It had called for 6 Tablespoons of "grated" butter. As in, I was supposed to grate the butter against a grater. I was a little disappointed I didn't get to do that...but it was too late I decided. 

So, I cut the dough into 6 pieces and placed it in the oven to cook for about 14 minutes. Our oven is a gas oven and things never quite cook the way they should. So, it took about 8 more minutes longer than the recipe had said. But they turned out beautifully! 

A finished (butterless) scone - topped with Greek yogurt.
Paula Dean would be upset, but they tasted just wonderful even without the butter. 
Thank goodness. That would have been disappointing!  

'Til next time, 
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment